Monday, May 9, 2011

Hallelujah

The other night we were hanging out with a few of our Russian friends from our church. One of the guys had a guitar with him and was playing a few songs unnoticeably. That is until he started playing a song everyone got excited about and began singing with him. It was the recently popularized Leonard Cohen song “Hallelujah” covered by Rufus Wainright and featured in the film “Shrek”.
A few weeks earlier at church the same song was played while the church collected the weekly offerings. I remember thinking that this was an odd song to play at a time like that, but seemingly odd things happen all the time around a person when they live in Russia, so I let it go. While trying to remember the words to the song we talked about how funny it was that this song was played at church because it appears to not be a Christian song. Even though Cohen is Jewish and many biblical themes are woven through his works his life does not reflect that of a religiously devout person.
Yet there remains something mysteriously haunting in his song - something that resonates with me when I sing it. There is an honesty, a realness in the words that puts into song an emotion I’ve felt many times before but cannot put into words. I’m not saying the lyrics are inspired or that I think all of the ideas behind the song are morally true, but there is something that we identified with when we got excited about singing this song in the park that night.
One of the more thought-provoking lines in the song is when he says that “love is not a victory march / it’s a cold and it’s a broken hallelujah.” My friend disagreed. She said, “love is a victory march, it is!” I offered another angle on the idea. “What about when Jesus was on the cross, if he had said hallelujah would it have been a victorious cry or a cold and a broken hallelujah? When he cried “it is finished” was his voice joyous or was it broken?” I’ve been thinking about that since then.
Which is it? Is love a joyful, celebratory victory march or is it a cold and a broken hallelujah? Or for those who, like me, can’t stand conflict or taking sides is it both?
I don’t think the reason why this song evokes such strong emotion for people is because it’s a secular song you can baptize and sing in church because it includes the word “hallelujah”. I don’t think this song is so popular simply because it’s catchy - the original version is actually quite a downer. I think the reason why we like this song is because we have all been there before. We have cried hallelujah through tears, with a scratchy, cold and broken voice. We have all been down at times, disappointed or depressed. We have all been in that situation where even though it is terribly difficult we still say with Job “blessed be the name of the Lord.” That is what hallelujah means “praise YHWH”.
The reason why we love this song is because it’s a song of hope, a song that points us toward the promised land where there will be no more tears or sorrow. A land where our cold and broken hallelujahs are lifted, reshaped and reformed into victory marches. The song points to the day when we can sing our song before the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
The oft unsung but beautiful final verse puts it best. “And even though it all went wrong / I’ll stand before the Lord of Song / With nothing on my tongue but hallelujah.”
For those interested here are the lyrics of the song and the link to youtube to see Rufus Wainright singing it live.
I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah
Baby I have been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you.
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
There was a time you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Maybe there’s a God above
But all I’ve ever learned from love
Was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you
It’s not a cry you can hear at night
It’s not somebody who has seen the light
It’s a cold and it’s a broken Hallelujah
Hallelujah
You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light in every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah
Hallelujah
I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff Buckley covered it, too...