Wednesday, April 21, 2010

God's Teeter-Totter

“What are you doing tomorrow morning?” asked my Russian friend one late Saturday night. “Going to church.” I replied “What about you? Do you go to church?”
“Yes, sometimes. But I don’t really like it.” He answered. He went on to share his views on church and how it seems like much of it was just created to keep people in line and to give the hurting hope. This opened our conversation to an unexpected but welcomed spiritual discussion about church, Jesus, life and what is important.

A few months ago I was thinking about my approach to evangelism. Early on in ministry I was taught to share the Gospel the first time and every time I met with someone. If they weren’t interested we would go on to the next person who was. This meant that in almost every conversation I had with a Russian my first thought was
usually “How can I steer this toward the Gospel?” The motivation behind this was that we were only going to be in our location for short time and it was our job to sow broadly. We were there to share the Gospel with as many people as possible. There is nothing wrong with that, but as in all things, it needs balance.

Then when we worked alongside students in New Orleans our approach shifted from daily evangelism on campus to helping students learn how to effectively share their faith with their friends and fellow students. We used tools such as surveys, short films, music and giveaways to engage students in spiritual discussions. This was good because it taught us to listen first then respond appropriately. But the negative side was that hardly anybody heard the Gospel because we were so afraid of offending people.

Something wasn’t quite right. Something was missing. We weren’t effective in our random, on-campus evangelism efforts but what was effective was the community that students were building around them. They would pray, worship and study the Bible together in addition to just doing life together. Other students were attracted to this and slowly but surely their hearts were opened to the bedrock of the community, Jesus Christ. We don’t know how many trusted Christ over the two years we served there. What we do know is that the majority were drawn to him not because of convincing arguments in a random evangelistic conversation but rather because of the love of Christ lived out among the believers on that campus.

Now I’m not saying that we shouldn’t go out and sow broadly. Surely, Jesus did that and taught his disciples to do it. But we should take the same posture Jesus did, as a person who is humble and genuinely concerned for others, rather than a lording, hateful know-it-all. God knows I’ve been the latter too many times and it is causing me to rethink my whole approach to this.

In the fall two things caused me to think hard about this (and I’m still working through it). One was the book “GodSpace” by AIA (Athletes in Action - a division of Campus Crusade) staff member Doug Pollock. The other was a broadcast of “This American Life” by NPR entitled Bait & Switch. In this broadcast the host, Ira Glass (a self-proclaimed staunch atheist), interviews a Christian writer who has written extensively on evangelism. They talk about the old-school methods of hosting a big event under false pretenses only to slip a Gospel presentation in at the end. They even specifically mention Campus Crusade and a beach outreach strategy we have used. This caused me to perk my ears up. The host asked if it was wrong and manipulative to lie to people even if they think they are doing a greater good in the end. The author agreed and offered a different approach. He says we should befriend people who are not Christians just for the sheer sake of their friendship and being very transparent with them about the desire for them to know God. Or as the host put it “all bait and no switch.”



At that same time I was reading the book “GodSpace” and it was talking about this same thing. While doing evangelism we often manipulate conversations to go in a direction that often the other people don’t want it to go. The author talks about how often we lay our hands on a conversation in hopes of pointing them to Christ but what really happens is that the conversation ceases to be a conversation and becomes a sales pitch. Whether we are aware of it or not we believe that we have become God’s sales reps and that it is our job to sell Jesus to the other person. Oh how convicted I felt when I read that! It’s been haunting me since.


Pollock goes on to describe several more “Conversation Killers” such as an unbelieving heart, pre-conceived notions of what Christians are, awkward transitions (guilty!), disrespect, agendas and so on. He offers a solution which is not easy. He calls it God’s teeter-totter. It involves lots of listening and responding with wondering questions. Too much listening and the person feels like they are at a therapist’s office, too much questioning and they feel like they are being interrogated. Instead when we authentically listen to a person and respond with a question that is an honest wonder to you the conversation is not a pitch, the person is not manipulated and the truth is still being sought after.

This was running through my mind as I talked with my Russian friend that late Saturday night. As we talked about the state of the church I wondered aloud what Jesus would say about it. We talked about growing up and out of our twenties and into our thirties. I wondered if we had changed in the past ten years and if we would be the same ten more years from now. Our conversation ebbed and flowed naturally and when it was over I didn’t try spiritual CPR by asking an out of topic spiritual question. I let it sit until the right time; until God gave us another open door. I am still struggling with finding the balance between being a good listener and being a minister of the Gospel. Jesus was bold AND compassionate. For too long I’ve been too bold. I want to be compassionate but not to the point that the Gospel is never heard or proclaimed (that would be the least compassionate thing one could do).

I want my friend to know Christ and enjoy him forever. I want him to be awed by God. What I don’t want is to approach him as another “notch on my crown” (which he isn’t) nor as a project to be worked on. He is my friend. And I want my friend to know Jesus.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, please post them if you would like to.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Good thoughts! I've always had trouble with the "survey and switch" type of sharing; something about it felt dishonest (is it really a survey or just a pretext?)

I had an opportunity to go through the new Soularium thing with my community group here a couple weeks ago and I think it's really cool! It doesn't talk down to people regardless of where they are at and invites real dialog.

I do think just being a friend is so much better, although it really does depend on "multiplication" for any significant number of people to hear the gospel, because you can talk to many people but can only really be friends with a few.

I just finished Acts and the apostles talked to a lot of people, in big public settings and in groups -- but formed relationships with key people who responded, and who then themselves went on to share the message by living it out in the communities where they were embedded. So it's a tricky balance and different people have different roles.

Unknown said...

I loved this blog! It sounds like Jess, but I'm not sure because there was a reference to NPR. I'm too tired to gather my thoughts about all this right now, but I love that I get to explore all these things with you in Moscow! AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Thanks.

:)

ThatsGoingToLeaveA said...

Dear Dave and Jessica,

How we love you! From our trailer in South Carolina I read your updates and am encouraged and challenged. I so appreciate the teeter-totter post.

Just recently I came under conviction that God has put many, many people in my life over years and through different circumstances and after I came to know the Lord, I just let those relationships fade. I wanted to learn about Christian living and discipleship and be with Christians. By God's grace, He has allowed very few deep friendships with Christians, leaving me with just memories of loved ones (including my family).

I fractured some of those relationships through a prideful boldness that I thought was evangelism, being unwilling or interested to discuss things 'unspiritual' or incessantly steering conversation towards Jesus and the Bible. Now, with a limp like Jacob, I trust God has turned me around to revisit and rekindle my love for those folks. And, as much of life is in the Kingdom of Heaven, it is much easier than I was making it out to be in my own strength.

God uses gifts he has given me, things I enjoy doing, to show real love for others, who I truly love! There are those in my life it is more difficult to love, and then I need to lean on Jesus even more and let Him speak truth through me. He uses my interests and inclinations to bring me close to those He would have me close to, when I look to Him to guide me.

Seeking to serve and love others in a way that is meaningful to them, over time (sometimes MUCH time) will lead, I trust, to the gospel expressed through lives lived and words I often don't even remember saying (to be contrasted with those much rehearsed gospel presentations I tried before). This method of sharing the gospel requires much courage and faith, I think, because it requires waiting and trusting God's timing, and living a transparent life moment to moment.

Thank you for all you do! God bless you!
Rosie (for Mark and Rosie)

Adrian & Katherine said...

Wonderful post, Jess! I tend to lean more towards the compassion side than the bold side. Maybe we should just team up :)

One thing that I loved about Cru's evangelism training is that while we're taught "first time, every time," at the same time, what was very important to the growth of the ministry is investment in individuals. It's so important to plant seeds that God can use down the road, AND to invest more deeply. What I valued most about Laura Burton's investment in my life (she was my discipler in college) was that she was very open about her faith and her desire to see me grow in mine, but she was always willing to talk with me about anything (spiritual or not). It's much easier for people to process the gospel when they feel like you care about things at whatever level they're at, in addition to challenging them to grow to a greater level. I think it's great to be constantly aware/present during our conversations so we'll know when God is giving us an opportunity to share, but I think it's also important to remember that God has specific timing for things and he's very good at giving us signals when He's ready for things to be said.

Keep up the awesome work! I love being encouraged by your blogs! Thanks for being bold :)